Friday, December 16, 2011

Jn 5:33-36 John the Baptist is like a burning and shining lamp

 
Jesus said to the Jews:
"You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth.
I do not accept testimony from a human being,
but I say this so that you may be saved.
John was a burning and shining lamp,
and for a while you were content to rejoice in his light.
But I have testimony greater than John's.
The works that the Father gave me to accomplish,
these works that I perform testify on my behalf
that the Father has sent me."

Here we see Jesus celebrates John's role as the forerunner of the Messiah and then explains that it is not through words but deeds that prove he is the Messiah. His focus is on "works" reminds us that in the Gospel of John, people are brought to faith through works. In this passage we are also reminded that John the Baptist helps illuminate the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment