Saturday, August 11, 2012

John 6:41-51 Jesus is the Bread of Life


The Jews murmured about Jesus because he said,

"I am the bread that came down from heaven,"
and they said,
"Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph?
Do we not know his father and mother?
Then how can he say,
'I have come down from heaven?'"
Jesus answered and said to them,
"Stop murmuring among yourselves.
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him,
and I will raise him on the last day.
It is written in the prophets:
They shall all be taught by God.
Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me.
Not that anyone has seen the Father
except the one who is from God;
he has seen the Father.
Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever believes has eternal life.
I am the bread of life.
Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died;
this is the bread that comes down from heaven
so that one may eat it and not die.
I am the living bread that came down from heaven;
whoever eats this bread will live forever;
and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world."


In this passage, Jesus establishes the sacrament of the Eucharist by saying: "I am the bread of life."  This text has been used to explain the sacrament of the Eucharist. Jesus is the very bead we consume in the mass because Jesus is the primordial sacrament. He is the bread, God's grace made visible in his very person. When we eat the bread, we are participating in the sacrament, remember Jesus' death on the cross, and the incarnation of God to save us from our sins. Jesus is the bread of life. He nourishes us, sustains us, and brings us in communion with God.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to use this picture for a project I am doing. How do I get permission to do so from the owner of the picture?

    ReplyDelete