Wednesday, August 10, 2011

John 12:24-26 Christian Paradox: If you Love your life you will lose it, if you give up your life you will gain it.


Jesus said to his disciples:
"Amen, amen, I say to you,
unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies,
it remains just a grain of wheat;
but if it dies, it produces much fruit.
Whoever loves his life loses it,
and whoever hates his life in this world
will preserve it for eternal life.
Whoever serves me must follow me,
and where I am, there also will my servant be.
The Father will honor whoever serves me."

This passage reflects on the Christian Paradox of having to lose one's life before gaining it. Here Jesus is talking about the need for his followers to put aside all their own ambitions, emotions, feelings, and attachments to make room to follow His message. In our lives it is extremely difficult to do this. The call to Christian fellowship requires sacrifice, but this sacrifice must be life giving. Only when we set aside our selfish desires do we allow God to work through us. Like St. Paul says, "Not I but Christ in me". In order for Christ to work in us, we need to purge all our negative and selfish baggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment